Saturday, October 9, 2010

False Dilemma

One concept that I found useful or interesting is the concept of false dilemmas. This concept is found in Chapter 6 in the critical thinking book. According to the book, “a false dilemma is a bad use of excluding possibilities where the ‘or’ claim is false or implausible. Sometimes just the dubious ‘or’ claim itself is called a ‘false dilemma’.” I notice a lot of examples of false dilemmas on television shows, specifically, ones based around comedy. An example of false dilemma is the following common statement; “You’re either with us or against us.” This seems like an extreme point to make. What if you were the only one who declined to go on a ski trip for your friend’s birthday party and he said this to you. Just because you don’t want to go doesn’t mean you’re against them. What if you can’t afford the trip or have a fear of mountains and there being an avalanche. There are many possibilities excluded.

1 comment:

  1. The concept of false dilemmas was not confusing to me the first time I read it in the book. However reading your blog just reinforced the concept and gave me a little more knowledge that I overlooked when I read the book the first time. I never really thought of a false dilemma in the context you put it and I can really see how your example qualifies. I myself have been guilty of using false dilemmas when I am trying to persuade a friend to do something or go somewhere with me. After reading your example I think I will be able to recognize it better when others use it.

    ReplyDelete