Thursday, September 2, 2010

Vague Sentences

The vague sentence I heard recently was, “How far away is it?” This was asked after I sent a text message asking a friend of mine if he could possibly go with me to purchase a T.V. What qualified the question as a vague sentence is the lack of information it doesn’t share. Some of the questions it brings up are; What does ‘it’ refer to? How do you measure far? What is the method of transportation? Are you walking? Is far a mile? Is far ten blocks away?

A lot of things aren’t clarified with the sentence “How far away is it?” Is ‘it’ a place? Is ‘it’ an animal? Where is the starting point? Is the starting point from where my friends car is or is it measured from the location of where I currently stay. All of these unanswered questions that arrived cause the sentence to be a vague sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment