Friday, November 12, 2010

Types of Reasoning

1) An example of Reasoning by Analogy is; “Reading a book will give you knowledge. A book is a form of literature. A newspaper is a form of literature. Therefore a newspaper will give you knowledge.”

2) An example of Sign Reasoning is; “Leaves turning brown is a sign that the season of autumn is starting.”

3) An example of Causal Reasoning is; “Consuming excessive amounts of sugar filled products on a regular basis raises your blood glucose levels and can lead to the development of diabetes over time.”

4) An example of Reasoning by Criteria is; “How will we win? Defense will be the key. Winning is scoring on the offense.”

5) An example of Reasoning by Example is; “I had a laptop just that would always overheat like yours. I bought a cooling fan to go underneath it and keep it cool.”

6) An example of Inductive Reasoning is; “I always get stopped by the train on my way to work during the week. Tomorrow I will be stopped by the train on my way to work.”

7) An example of Deductive Reasoning is; “All the houses in this neighborhood have a swimming pool. Malcolm lives in this neighborhood. Malcolm’s house has a swimming pool.”

2 comments:

  1. I liked all of your examples for this post. You managed to pick examples that the reader can relate to and that made it easier to understand what each type of reasoning really meant. Basically, it was easy to understand the purpose of each type of reasoning without a formal definition. My favorites were your example for sign reasoning and causal reasoning. I had the most trouble coming up with an example for sign reasoning but your example makes total sense and it very easy to follow! Also, your causation example was thorough and to the point, but not juvenile or obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great examples! Your analogy one was good because you gave an example of two different types of literature connected them to giving you knowledge. Whether the two give you knowledge or not is a different matter. I liked your causal reasoning as well because you gave a relatable topic such as raising blood glucose levels which “causes” diabetes. My favorite example you did was reasoning by criteria. One, because I didn’t really understand this one and your example helped. But two, it was a fun example. It reminded me of something one of my high school coaches would have said. Good post, keep up the creativity.

    ReplyDelete